Tuesday, January 05, 2010

NEW WORSHIP CENTER UPDATE- #4

This morning I took the scenic route on my way down to the office so I could see what was new at the work site. I found that the concrete slab had been entirely removed and carted off, and a crew was arriving to take down trees that were going to be in the way or might pose a future hazard to the building. The tree that was apparently causing the greatest concern was an immense Ponderosa Pine which had developed a scary lean, but was otherwise healthy.

Trees aren't the only natural objects standing in the way of progress. The rocks which have always stood at the southwest corner of the tabernacle, and which have been climbed and sat upon by generations of campers will have to be moved to make way for the new building.

Sorry for the crummy pictures. They fail to convey just how large these rocks are. Keith is hopeful that they may be able to shove the rocks out of the way so they can continue to be a nice sitting/climbing area for campers, but as a last resort they'll have to be broken up and removed.

Here's the big Ponderosa I mentioned earlier. A very brave man named Eduardo came over and cut it down. Using harnesses and ropes he shimmied up the trunk, limbing the tree as he went. It left a real impression on me.
He was way up there!

While Eduardo was risking life and limb above, the other guys were sawing up lesser trees into firewood and clearing brush down below.

The most exciting part for me was when Eduardo cut off the top 40 feet. He had tied off a rope which two or three guys pulled taut. Then he cut out a wedge, before back cutting the tree. When Eduardo started back-cutting the tree the guys pulled on the rope and CRACK-CRACKLE-CRACK-WHOOOOOOOSH 40 feet (and I don't know how many tons) of Ponderosa came thundering down.

Look out below!!!

After Eduardo made his way down I went up to thank him and I also asked him what was the scariest part of the job (The whole thing looks scary to me). He said "After the top comes down, the whole trunk sways back and forth. That's scary, man." I bet.

Eventually all of it was cut down except for this stump.





Great care was taken to make sure that this cedar didn't mar the beautiful manzanita hedge that will eventually separate the new building from the road. Once again they cut out a wedge, and then using a tractor they pulled it back towards the clearing as another man back-cut the tree. I was worried about the tensile strength of that strap.

It's a very aromatic spot as you can imagine.

2 comments:

David said...

You captured the fellig of the top 40 feet perfectly. kepp the updates coming. You're giving a lot of detail.

Anonymous said...

Hey I'd like to thank you for such a great quality site!
Was thinking this would be a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Johnie Maverick
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/mickey-mouse-party-supplies.html]mickey mouse Party Supplies[/url].